Getting a visa for Germany

Non-Europeans need to get a visa before they come to Germany. The regulations differ from country to country and must be enquired at the German embassy or consulate of the specific country.

City registration

After your arrival in Bochum you must go to the "Bürgerbüro" to announce that from now on you are living in Bochum. You have to do this before you go to the foreign office and within one week after your arrival. Otherwise it can happen that you have to pay a fine. Please keep all the documents given to you, because you will need them for all further visa matters.


Students of non-EU countries need to bring:

  • passport



students of EU-countries need to bring:

  • ID-cardform “Anmeldung bei der Meldebehörde” (you can download it at under “Formulare”)
  • form „Aufenthaltsanzeige gemäß § 5 FreizügG/EU“
  • study certification of the Ruhr-University Bochum
  • certificate of health insurance
  • proof of financial support


Contact addresses:

Bürgerbüro in Querenburg
Querenburger Höhe 256


Rathaus (city hall)
Willy-Brandt-Platz 2-8


Every time you change your residence within Germany, whether you move next door or across the country, you must report this to the registry office. This isn't an action directed at foreigners. Germans, too, must keep the police posted when they move.

You must de-register before you leave Germany. There is a special de-registration form for this (Abmeldeformular), which you can either download from the website or obtain from the Residents Registration Office.

Visa extension

Students of non-EU countries have to go to the foreign office (Ausländerbüro) at the Rathaus to get a visa extension. As a student you usually get a permit for 1 year, sometimes 2 years. There is not such a strict time limit as with the registration at the city hall. But of course, you shouldn’t wait too long until you apply for your residence permit.


You need to bring with you:

  • passport
  • documents from the city registration
  • 1 current passport photo – no copy or scan (please note: particular requirements re. photos since 01.01.2006)
  • filled in form “Antrag auf Erteilung / Verlängerung eines Aufenthaltstitels“ (you can download it at under “Formulare”)
  • proof of health insurance cover
  • study certification
  • proof of your financial support (bank record / scholarship / guarantee by parents or other supporters)

Since 01.01.2006 there are special requirements for passport photos. The best is if you go to a photographer and tell him that you need a photo for your passport (Passfoto) and he will know what to do. Prices for passport photos are usually around 12 Euro.


Contact Address

Ausländerbüro der Stadt Bochum
Rathaus (city hall)
Willy-Brandt-Platz 2-8